About Me

Monday, June 13, 2016

My Favorite Capsule Wardrobe Posts


As promised, here are the links I found on Pintrest that were the basis of my pre-purge research.

I'll admit that I haven't really followed through on using any of these religiously, but I found quite a few nuggets of gold that I'm keeping in the back of my mind for now.
 
First there is Project 333. There were several "rules" that I already do. I already go through my items on a regular basis and put what I don't currently need in storage, I donate what I know I don't like anymore, and try to only wear what is in good shape. But I haven't actually done a count of what I have left or done much serious listing of my inventory, not yet at least. If I had to guess, I'd say I have closer to 40 hangers in my closet right now where the idea here is to have 33 items out.

The Pinch of Yum blog had some good pointers on having a base wardrobe that is separate from the capsule wardrobe (to cover lounge wear, work out pieces, etc.) and focusing on making your capsule appropriate for your actual daily activities by having a straightforward criteria for each piece: Usefulness, Fit, and Ease of outfit creation. That criteria was my favorite part of this site. However, I'm not sure I'm quite ready to fit so tightly to Lindsey's count of pieces in her categories, probably because I'm still working on the outfit creation phase.

This guest post on the Organizing Junkie blog shared similar rules:
Only clothes that I love (and wear).
Tops and bottoms that GO together.
Overall less clothing, but more outfit options, with quality pieces.
I'm still working on upping the quality of my pieces. I feel like I need to zero in on what pieces I really love before I go looking for the higher quality version of them. And the concept of only having pieces that really go together is what got me into capsule wardrobes to begin with.

My favorite capsule wardrobe posts were from The Vivienne Files. I got to know this blog pretty well because when I went looking for the original link that I fell in love with, I couldn't remember what the post had been called so I just went combing for it. This lady really resonated with me. She focuses on color combinations and packing for trips which are too things I'd love to do more writing about myself, but with more of a DYT outlook, of course.

I felt like the 4 by 4 template was a great place to start where colors are concerned to create a foundation to your capsule. You pick one or two neutrals to build off of (mine are black and white) before adding in some color and pattern to really get you going.

I think the Clusters worksheet is a great way to get visually organized when creating outfits and listing our your inventory. Her Start with Art concept for finding a color scheme was also really interesting.

But my favorite template (that I finally refound) was the All Occasion Whatever's Clean 13. It was my packing inspiration for our road trip. I still didn't follow it exactly, but having a spectrum of dress levels covered was really great for me. Knowing that I had lots of options to choose from without being overwhelmed with lots of items made for lighter packing.

I really only strayed on the number of second layers that I packed because it is summer and we were coming to Arizona and I knew a cardigan is not what I'd be reaching for. And I completely skipped scarves. I also packed more jewelry just because I could. I think Vivienne is usually packing for just short weekend travels, but I was packing for a month-long road trip, so I think I still did pretty good.

To be sure, I have lots more pages on my Pintrest board, but these were my favorite. I hope they inspire you as they did me.

No comments:

Post a Comment