About Me

Monday, May 30, 2016

My Semi-Annual Closet Purge


This is a post I've been very excited about. My first Before and After!

Twice a year I go through all my clothes. I do this in April and October. I check for fit, appropriateness for my current state of childbearing, and general satisfaction with my wardrobe.

This time around I wanted to get closer to a capsule wardrobe. I used Pintrest to grab all sorts different opinions on what should be in a capsule wardrobe. Some were useful while others some seemed not to fit what I wanted to get out of my closet.

I'll do my next Beauty post on the links that were my favorites.

In the end, after attempting to form several different capsule clusters, I realized I should've just started with the most basic advice: Shop Your Closet and what you don't "buy", don't keep. With that and putting away the seasonal clothes, I was able to clean up my closet considerably.

Now I have a spare suitcase full of the winter clothes (seeing as we are now in the summer season) and another suitcase full of maternity clothes and the pieces I can't breastfeed in (I'm only halfway through that phase with my second baby).

Picture time!

Here is everything that was in my closet plus all my extra boxes. 


And now everything that could be hung up is on the rod. I have a spare room that doesn't have a closet to speak of so it has this awesome long rod for me to play with. I should mention that this pole is twice as long as the pole in my closet. It's great for having a separate space to (hopefully) do wardrobe consultations in the future.


This is what was left after the "shopping" and separation. I used to think I wanted to have some of every color of the rainbow. This may have stemmed from my organization style of having my closet arranged in rainbow order.


I had finally gotten tops to fill the orange and green gaps in my rainbow, and then I realized I had gotten Type 1 colors. I didn't notice this until I was looking at them and a few other pieces and I realized that they looked like candy by each other. "Candy" is how I describe the Type 1 color palette. I've since gifted them to my Type 1 sister-in-law.


And here is my finished closet. I used to hang my skirts separate from my tops (in their own rainbow, of course). This time around I decided to integrate them into the overall rainbow. (Notice the spectrum gap between the red and the blue?)

As a Type 4 I fully embrace my mainstays of black and white and love my bold accent colors. My closet now shows that.

I look forward to talking more about color schemes in the future.



1 comment:

  1. Love it, I kind of do the same sort of thing. I place my things by color too!

    ReplyDelete