About Me

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Adventures in Polyvore: Illustrating My Project 333 Capsule Wardrobe

All 33 items plus color palette

Well, it's been so much fun doing the full capsule wardrobe experience the last couple of months that I thought I'd go another round of talking about it. My first three month round of the Project 333 system is almost up. This has been a rather freeing experience. I love everything in my closet, I wear everything in my closet, and everything in my closet works quite well together. You usually can't say that about a normal closet full of clothes, especially if you find yourself complaining that you "have nothing to wear".

I think my biggest secret to having the capsule wardrobe work so well is starting with a pretty tight selection of colors that you know work well together. Here's my color palette from this round.

Black, white, cobalt, red, teal

As a Type 4, black and white will probably always be the base of my wardrobe, and I'm ok with that. But playing with the accent colors is where I get to have fun changing it up and giving spice to a wardrobe that might seem rather one-note otherwise.

Another trick is being able to have all the levels of dress represented in the capsule. From casual all the way up to dressed up, you want to feel like you are ready for any circumstance. This does mean having some understanding of the levels of dress that are appropriate to your life style. I'm a church-going stay-at-home mom, so my capsule might lean more to the casual side. But I also have comfortable items to look amazing in on Sunday's too.

All items from casual to dressed up

Even though I have worn everything I selected for this capsule, there are of course combinations that I noticed that I wore a lot. These are they. The striped pencil skirt is actually a LuLa Roe maxi, so I actually wore that as "lounge wear" when I didn't feel like wearing jeans (read: jeans were in the laundry), but I still make a point of getting dressed everyday. (I feel like I really don't get anything done otherwise.)

Project 333 Winter 2016-2017

The following are several slides showing just how many different combinations you can make with a capsule wardrobe using items I actually have. Mostly I think the theme here is to pick great basic pieces with a healthy dose of accessories so you can have fun mixing and matching to find new combinations to fall in love with.

Black and Red Choose Your Own Adventure, Blue and Black Pyramid Scheme, Layered Levels of Classy, One Top Mix and Match, Weekend Casual to Date Night Ready

The rules of the Project 333 system call for you to include outerwear in the 33 items. Since it is winter here in southeastern Idaho, I have a heavier coat and snow boots out. The lighter jacket is for when I'm just running out to the garage for something or when I'm sitting in our almost unheated computer room working on the blog and such. Plus it wasn't completely freezing when I put this capsule together back at the beginning of November. 

Another awesome bonus that I discovered was the fact that for three months I had one purse out and never felt a need to switch it up. Raise your hand if you are a woman with more than one purse. (Guilty as charged.) Before doing the capsule wardrobe I think I'd change purses on almost a monthly basis because I knew the current purse didn't match the outfit I was wearing one day. With the capsule wardrobe and having a limited color palette with a purse to match, I never had to worry about that.


Now I'm looking forward to creating a new capsule for the next three months, purse and all ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment